What is a training agreement?
A training agreement is basically a document that defines the nature of your internship or placement. It is issued by your current or former university and serves to ensure the quality of your placement. We can define it as a ”Quality Commitment”* setting out the rights and obligations of all the parties involved in placements abroad.
The agreement is signed by the sending institution (university), the host organization (the company) and the intern.
What should include a training agreement?
Contact & Personal information
UNIVERSITY / SENDING INSTITUTION
Supervisor / international office contact
Objectives of internship:
- Knowledge, skills and competences to be acquired
- Detailed programme of the training period
- Tasks of the trainee
- Monitoring and evaluation plan
Student internship placement
DATES OF INTERNSHIP
SIGNATURES OF EACH PARTY
The European Quality Charter for Mobility defines the quality principles for placements.
THE SENDING HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTION UNDERTAKES TO:
- Define the learning outcomes of the placement in terms of the knowledge, skills and competencies to be acquired
- Assist the student in choosing the appropriate host organisation, project duration and placement content to achieve these learning outcomes
- Select students on the basis of clearly defined and transparent criteria and procedures and sign a placement contract with the selected students.
- Prepare students for the practical, professional and cultural life of the host country, in particular through language training tailored to meet their occupational needs
- Provide logistical support to students concerning travel arrangements, visa, accommodation, residence or work permits and social security cover and insurance
- Give full recognition to the student for satisfactory completed activities specified in the Training Agreement
- Evaluate with each student the personal and professional development achieved through participation in the
THE SENDING INSTITUTION AND HOST ORGANISATION JOINTLY UNDERTAKE TO:
- Negotiate and agree a tailor-made Training Agreement (including the programme of the placement and the recognition arrangements) for each student and the adequate mentoring arrangements
- Monitor the progress of the placement and take appropriate action if required
THE HOST ORGANISATION UNDERTAKES TO:
- Assign to students tasks and responsibilities (as stipulated in the Training Agreement) to match their knowledge, skills, competencies and training objectives and ensure that appropriate equipment and support is available
- Draw a contract or equivalent document for the placement in accordance with the requirements of the national legislation
- Appoint a mentor to advise students, help them with their integration in the host environment and monitor their training progress
- Provide practical support if required, check appropriate insurance cover and facilitate understanding of the culture of the host country
THE STUDENT UNDERTAKES TO:
- Comply with all arrangements negotiated for his/her placement and to do his/her best to make the placement a success
- Abide by the rules and regulations of the host organisation, its normal working hours, code of conduct and rules of confidentiality
- Communicate with the sending institution about any problem or changes regarding the placement
- Submit a report in the specified format and any required supporting documents at the end of the placement
- In the event that the higher education institution is integrated in a consortium, its commitments may be shared with the co-ordinating organisation of the consortium
You can see a real example of training agreement by making click HERE